Thursday, October 19, 2023
ANA Gallery @ the Rogers Experimental House
121 W. Walnut Street Rogers, AR 72756
1:00 – 3:00 pm
Free and open to the public.
About the session:
- Discussion of what Collage is as an art medium
- Show examples of collage work done by the presenter and discuss each briefly
- Brief discussion of artists who have used collage (Matisse and others) as a medium
- Stress importance of design, balance, color, contrast, and movement within the picture
- Bring books for browsing: The Art of Collage by Gerald Brommer; Cut, Paper, Pictures by Clover Robin; and The Collage Ideas Book by Alannah Moore
- Discuss process of developing a collage (work from background to foreground, tearing paper to get deckled edge, using phone camera to take a picture of various arrangements before gluing, etc.)
- Do a brief demonstration, using various collage materials
- Help participants get started on their own collages
- Monitor works and make suggestions as needed
- When works are completed (at least to some degree), allow participants to “show and tell” about their works if they’d like.
Brief history of presenter:
Evelyn Jorgenson is an artist that has returned to her roots and her early college education after a retiring in 2022 from her career in higher education administration. She has a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in painting from Columbia College and studied under Sid Larson (himself an apprentice under Thomas Hart Benton). While working on her bachelor’s degree, Evelyn developed a love of the unique characteristics and opportunities available with collage. Using found materials in new imaginative ways appealed to her basic joy of creativity.
Evelyn E. Jorgenson, Ph.D.
Northwest Arkansas Community College
Join us in October for this program.